Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Introduction

Hi there web folks!



This blog is going to be a look into a journey.  I have recently discovered the sport of disc golf.  After playing a few rounds, I'm hooked!  As a lot of others starting out with something new, there are a lot of bumps along the way.  My hope is that maybe this blog will be helpful to others, especially women who are discovering this sport and looking for some direction. The blogs that follow will follow me along my progression with disc golf.  


How did this start?


This actually started with a video game.  I have always loved video games, ever since I was a kid.  The first console that my family owned was an original Nintendo, NES.  The NES was my introduction to the video game world.  Years later, it was Nintendo again introducing me to something else I would end up loving.  This time it was from the Wii.  One of the games on the Wii Sports game that came standard with the Wii was Frisbee Golf.  I have spend countless hours swinging around a Wiimote and watching the frisbee fly.  I often wondered while playing if this was something that was real, or just a game made up for the Wii.  With a little web research, I would have discovered that it is indeed a real sport, but at the time I didn't give it much thought.

This year (2012) I was shopping at Dick's Sporting Goods, looking for some accessories for kayaking.  I walked by an endcap display and it caught my eye.  It was full of frisbees in a wire rack display with some boxed items on the bottom.  Upon further inspection I learned that Frisbee Golf was real!  I got very excited and looked over the frisbees, taking note that they were shaped very differently from frisbees that I was familiar with.  I looked over the frisbees and noted the difference in them with the rim width and that they were categorized as putters, mid range, or drivers.  I looked over the boxes on the bottom of the display which happened to be starter kits.  I mentally noted that they were calling it Disc Golf, and that the brand of the frisbees was Innova.  

I did not buy the kit the first time I saw them.  I came home and did a lot of research on the web and learned a lot about the sport of Disc Golf and the tools of the game.  I learned that instead of frisbees, they are referred to as discs.  That baskets were the "hole", and that it was scored the same as regular golf in regards of throws and par.  I also learned that there were actually courses in my area!  They weren't in the town that I live in, but 2 of them were 45 minutes away.  One was in a town I am frequently in for appointments and other things.  So I decided to go ahead and purchase a starter kit and give it a go!





No comments:

Post a Comment